A real search observed yesterday:
- Informed library user working in Central European Time (CET) does a Google Scholar search with library links enabled.
- User follows the SFX links to get the official full-text.
- Two databases have the full-text; user clicks each link, to major databases.
- The first database link is broken, the second database is being updated (the time: around 6AM Eastern Standard Time…noon CET, peak working time for the user).
- User tries to go directly through the second database to compensate for the broken link. That database is also being updated.
- User gives up the official search path and goes to Sci-Hub. Full-text retrieved within seconds.